04 November 2008

It's Election Day In America

Do you know where your polling place is?

When I was little, my parents would take us to vote with them.

In our district, we had the old school booths where you entered and pulled a lever to close the curtain. The booth itself was a massive wall of metal switches that could be flipped up and down, and when you were ready, you cast your ballot by cranking the lever back to open the curtain and "punch" your card. When we were big enough, we were allowed to pull the lever for them. I still hear that metallic click-click-click-clank every time I think about voting.

So today, I will take my son to vote with me.

At only 18 months old he may not remember, but I will.

I will remember that this was the year when people stood in line to vote for hours on end - the way they would normally only stand in line for iPhones and Sox tickets.

I will remember that this was the year people ran for president who, in the past, would not even been allowed to vote, much less actually have more than a snowball's chance of succeeding.

And hopefully, I will remember that this was the year that more people came out to vote than ever have in modern American history.

Left, right, or center - vote.

Get in line.

Stay in line.

VOTE.

6 comments:

  1. I've been harassing Americans here for weeks to make sure they stop by the embassy to drop off their ballots.

    Ok now i have to go back to staring at CNN for any hint of what's happening on the ground today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just came back from voting. It took 5 minutes! I was lucky:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wanted to reply to your comment about my santa candy cane guy. I make a mouse, too, as well as a horse. I'm working on a snowman but can't get it just right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indeed. I just got back from my polling place in 8913oh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have only been able to vote at a physical location once. All the other times have been by absentee ballot. I want to be able to take our kids to the polls too. Maybe one day.

    ReplyDelete

What's up, Pixel Peep?